- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
LaTourette does smoke cigarettes — “I’ve probably stopped smoking 74 times,” he said — but he does not share two other pastimes commonly associated with Boehner: golf and a “glass of merlot,” as the Speaker has put it.
“I haven’t had a drink of alcohol in four years. Because, with the hours that we work, it was something that was taking control of my life but not in a positive way,” he said.
LaTourette’s sense of humor is well-known. In 1995, he invited humor columnist Dave Barry to work in his office for four days. “Some of my older colleagues came up and said, ‘What, are you crazy? What, are you nuts?’” he recalled.
LaTourette also did a sketch on the “Tonight Show with Jay Leno” featuring him and Kucinich doing “trust falls” and other feel-good exercises in a spirit of bipartisanship.
“The best way to get people on your side is to make fun of yourself. A little self-deprecating humor goes a long way,” LaTourette said.