- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Former state Attorney General Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) is considering a bid to succeed retiring Sen. Kent Conrad (D).
“I think that our Congress has lost touch with the people of this country, and that we need reasonable voices who will represent constituents, and not special interests,” Heitkamp told the Associated Press, noting that she would make a decision within 30 days.
Heitkamp’s candidacy could give her party a shot at keeping the seat, especially because not a single Democrat has yet announced they’ll run to replace Conrad. Heitkamp considered running for the state’s other Senate seat when it was open in 2010 but ultimately passed on a bid.
Local Republicans view freshman Rep. Rick Berg as the frontrunner for the GOP nomination. Businessman Duane Sand, who unsuccessfully ran for the state’s At-Large House seat twice, is also running for the Republican nod.