- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Former state Rep. Jay Hoffman (D-Ill.) will challenge Rep. Timothy Johnson (R) in the newly competitive 13th district, the Champaign News-Gazette reported.
Hoffman is a well-known politician in the downstate area, and his candidacy comes as a boost for Democrats searching for a top recruit in the new district.
“I spent my life in public service, working to fight for working families and I think this district could use someone who would do that,” Hoffmann told the local newspaper.
Illinois Democrats moved Johnson’s home into new territory downstate, making the 13th district competitive.
At least one other Democrat is considering a bid for that seat. Green County State’s Attorney Matt Goetten confirmed to Roll Call last month that he’s looking at the race.
Hoffman narrowly lost a bid for Congress against Rep. John Shimkus (R) in 1996.