- Manchin Is Staying in the Senate
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 13, 2015
- Wham! Bam! Comic Book Ads Target SEC Chairwoman
- Democrat Announces Senate Bid in Pennsylvania
- Context for Facebook Chatter About Presidential Candidates
She already secured the chairmanship of the Veterans’ Affairs Committee after agreeing to lead the DSCC; veterans’ issues have long been her passion. But when Budget Chairman Kent Conrad (D-N.D.) retires at the end of next year, she will also be in line to take over his spot. Plus, one Democratic leadership aide noted that she’s currently No. 4 in leadership and not planning to leave those ranks anytime soon, even if she won’t publicly lobby for an elevated position.
“I think everybody around here loves to speculate on that sort of stuff: Why is this person doing this? What’s in their future? I can tell you with pretty good authority that that is not the game she’s playing. She doesn’t make choices like this based on what’s next,” another top Democratic staffer said. “There’s no crescendo here in the back of her brain, though she is putting herself in a better position to advance her goals and values.”