- Candidates Look to Make Family Legacies in Congress
- Cruz's Struggle: This Man Loves to Argue
- DSCC Topped $5 Million in March
- NRSC Raised $4.9 Million in March
- NRCC Outraises DCCC in March, Is Now Debt-Free
This consultant said Perry would deliver the red-meat rhetoric desired by the party faithful — particularly in Iowa. But the Perry message is likely to be more mainstream in New Hampshire and other states that might require a less overtly partisan style, the consultant said.
Royal Masset, a retired Austin-based GOP strategist and former state party operative who has watched Perry throughout his career, said the campaign will be governed by discipline no matter its themes.
"He will ride a very tightly controlled message," Masset said. "Won't even discuss as much as, say, Sarah Palin discusses. He knows you can get into trouble that way. He's very disciplined that way."