Aug. 22, 2014 SIGN IN | REGISTER

No Lack of Interest in Race Against Conyers

File Photo

Another Democrat is considering a challenge to Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) next year.

State Rep. Tim Melton told the Detroit News on Friday that he’s thinking about taking on the 24-term Democrat.

“I certainly believe I have a pathway to winning the race if the field is based on John Conyers,” Melton told the newspaper.

Conyers’ re-election is in danger after Michigan Republicans passed a new Congressional map that moves him into a district composed of mostly foreign territory.

Melton isn’t the only Democrat taking note of Conyers’ predicament. He joins state Sen. Bert Johnson, who told Roll Call last month he will challenge Conyers in the Democratic primary. Southfield Mayor

Brenda Lawrence is also reportedly considering a bid.

comments powered by Disqus

SIGN IN




OR

SUBSCRIBE

Want Roll Call on your doorstep?