- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber (D) announced late Tuesday that he will schedule a special election to allow sufficient time for a special primary to be held to replace Rep. David Wu (D), who said earlier Tuesday that he would step down at the conclusion of the debt ceiling debate.
According to state law, that means Kitzhaber would need to set the special general election more than 80 days after Wu’s resignation becomes official. If that is next week, the 80-day mark would land in mid-October.
The two Democrats already in the race are state Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian and state Rep. Brad Witt. State Sen. Suzanne Bonamici (D) is strongly considering a bid. Republicans said to be looking at the race include businessman Rob Miller and 2010 nominee Rob Cornilles, as well as a handful of state legislators.