- Why Was Fiorina Denied Ad Time During the Debate?
- What the Hell Happened to Jeb Bush?
- Pelosi, DCCC Use Tea Party to Fire Up Dem Voters
- Anti-Abortion Groups to GOP: Include Fiorina in Debate
- Obamacare Repeal Votes Motivate Democratic Donors
Sometimes in politics, as in life, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and that has happened in the case of Obama, who became stronger among swing voters when they didnít think about him and his performance in office.
The longer the Republican race continues, the more the focus is on the GOP and the less it is on the president. That canít be good for the eventual Republican nominee.
Yes, it is possible that the fight for the nomination will help Romney round into general election form, but given the former Massachusetts governorís political instincts and his preference for a scripted campaign, itís far from clear the long fight will sharpen Romneyís skills for the fall.
So, the idea that the long fight is an asset for Republicans or doesnít entail significant risks is laughable. It simply isnít the same thing as the 2008 Democratic contest.
Stuart Rothenberg is editor of the Rothenberg Political Report.