- Manchin is Staying in the Senate
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 13, 2015
- Wham! Bam! Comic Book Ads Target SEC Chairwoman
- Democrat Announces Senate Bid in Pennsylvania
- Context for Facebook Chatter About Presidential Candidates
On the one hand, the lawmaker won't let his father open a headquarters for his organization, the Rainbow PUSH Coalition, in the 2nd district. But the Congressman also attended a Rainbow PUSH forum this month where he received the endorsement of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.).
As the sun set on a defunct Kankakee railroad station outside his campaign office, Jackson sentimentally described how his 70-year-old father still calls him every day. He acknowledges it will probably take some time for his new constituents to warm up to him.
"There will be a courting period of who is Jesse Jackson, Jr.?" he said. "'Are you your Dad's son? Is your Dad coming to everything?' It takes a term, maybe two, that's been my experience, for people to say, 'Hey, this guy is doing the job objectively.'"