- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
On the Democratic side, 9-term Rep. Bennie Thompson, the ranking member on the Homeland Security Committee, faces Greenville Mayor Heather McTeer. McTeer struggled to raise money but contributed about $150,000 to her campaign last week, on top of earlier personal loans, according to FEC records. But Democrats don’t think she has much of a shot.
“I think Congressman Thompson, his leadership in the Delta is solid. He’s been faithful to the folks down there,” said Democratic consultant Burns Strider, who is a Mississippi native deeply familiar with the South. “I think he’s fine. I don’t think McTeer can pose a credible challenge.”
That’s likely the case for all the challengers today, but given the low regard in which Americans hold Congress and its Members, the possibility for an upset exists.
Polls in both states open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. CDT.