- Let Voters Judge Early Ads
- Kelly Wins Runoff for Mississippi House Seat
- DNC's Mo Elleithee Leaving Politics for Georgetown
- Rematches Invite 'Retread' Label, Familiar Themes
- Party's History of Establishment Picks Could Be Over
Full of confidence as they looked ahead to the 1940 elections, Republicans gathered on April 20 that year for a dinner at which they forecast victory in the coming presidential election. Among the attendees were (from left) Republican National Committee Chairman John Hamilton, Ohio Sen. Robert Taft, Connecticut Gov. Raymond Baldwin, Kansas Sen. Clyde M. Reed and Massachusetts Rep. Joseph W. Martin Jr., the House Minority Leader.