- The Donald Trump Impact: Not so Inevitable After All
- Heck Decision Prompts Rating Changes in 2 Nevada Races
- Joe Heck to Run for Nevada Senate (Video)
- GOP Women's Recruitment Effort Adapts for 2016
- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
To that end, Portman last cycle transferred $335,000 in Senate campaign funds to fellow Ohio Republicans, including a $250,000 donation to the state GOP. Additionally, he raised $1.1 million for the Ohio Republican Party, $650,000 for the National Republican Senatorial Committee and $100,000 for the National Republican Congressional Committee.
Another GOP operative who worked on a 2008 campaign described the “formulaic” process for designating someone as a vice-presidential prospect. The media and campaigns follow the formula that the contender must hold a statewide office in a swing state, satisfy the party base, diversify the ticket and have a reputation for policy expertise.
“Portman’s appeal is that he checks more than one box,” this operative continued. “He is from an enormously important state, he is a solid conservative, and he is well-respected by both parties as someone who takes governing seriously.”