- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Republicans had failed to show they are willing to compromise or offer any ideas for reaching a long-term solution. “If no budget passes and we cannot keep this country running, it will be clear which side will bear that burden,” the Nevada Democrat said.
And Democratic Conference Vice Chairman Charles Schumer (N.Y.) blamed the far right for blocking a longer-term deal and urged Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to abandon the tea party. “In order to avert a shutdown, Speaker Boehner should consider leaving the tea party behind and instead seek a consensus in the House among moderate Republicans and a group of Democrats,” he said.
Boehner spokesman Michael Steel responded by accusing Schumer of “cynically scheming for a government shutdown because he thinks it will help his political party.”