- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum (Updated)
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The South
- When the Second Time Isnt the Charm
- State Senator Considering Run for Arizona Open House Seat
It’s no secret that Rep. Mike Quigley is a big hockey fan. After all, the Illinois Democrat helped to bring the Stanley Cup to Capitol Hill in December.
Last week Quigley, whose home team the Chicago Blackhawks are the reigning NHL champions, took to the House floor to recognize February as “Hockey Is for Everyone” month. The nationwide initiative aims to get more kids on skates.
“Every child should have the opportunity to play the greatest sport in the world,” Quigley said. “Increased access to healthy exercise will aid in the fight against childhood obesity and continue to decrease high school dropout rates.”
Quigley has been a lifelong hockey enthusiast and spent much of his youth attending Blackhawks games. In fact, he says there was a time in his life when he would get into brawls in the stands of the old Chicago Stadium with rival fans.