- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Budget Chairman Kent Conrad (N.D.) has also struggled to get his fellow Democrats to support a multitrillion-dollar deficit reduction package, with many Democrats, including Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) averse to touching Social Security.
But even Conrad and McCaskill have warned against cutting spending too soon while the economy is in a fragile state.
Conrad has repeatedly noted that bipartisan commissions like the president’s fiscal commission have urged delaying austerity a year or two.
Conrad has instead proposed a budget summit bringing the House, Senate and White House together quickly to try to hash out a long-term agreement. But House and Senate leaders and the White House have yet to embrace the idea.