- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The South
- When the Second Time Isnt the Charm
- State Senator Considering Run for Arizona Open House Seat
McCain, for his part, said there is room for moderation in the Senate, pointing to the growth of independent voters in his state of Arizona and across the country. He’s working with Carper on an enhanced rescissions bill that is a less powerful version of a line-item veto.
Carper, however, acknowledged Republicans are in a tough spot, noting then-Rep. Mike Castle’s defeat in his state’s Senate GOP primary last year, as well as Bennett’s defeat in Utah.
“Republicans are between a rock and a hard place. ... Very good, conservative but centrist Republicans were punished for their willingness to work across the aisle. It’s a tough call for Republicans.”