- Kathleen Matthews Joins Race for Van Hollen's Seat
- Let Voters Judge Early Ads
- Kelly Wins Runoff for Mississippi House Seat
- DNC's Mo Elleithee Leaving Politics for Georgetown
- Rematches Invite 'Retread' Label, Familiar Themes
McCain, for his part, said there is room for moderation in the Senate, pointing to the growth of independent voters in his state of Arizona and across the country. He’s working with Carper on an enhanced rescissions bill that is a less powerful version of a line-item veto.
Carper, however, acknowledged Republicans are in a tough spot, noting then-Rep. Mike Castle’s defeat in his state’s Senate GOP primary last year, as well as Bennett’s defeat in Utah.
“Republicans are between a rock and a hard place. ... Very good, conservative but centrist Republicans were punished for their willingness to work across the aisle. It’s a tough call for Republicans.”