- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum (Updated)
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The South
- When the Second Time Isnt the Charm
- State Senator Considering Run for Arizona Open House Seat
The pro-enforcement movement has defeated amnesty attempts by both this and previous administrations. Whether it was the 2007 comprehensive immigration reform proposal or last yearís push for amnesty under the DREAM Act, time and again the American people have rejected calls to reward lawbreakers and put the interests of illegal workers ahead of the interests of American citizens and legal workers.
Thatís why Kondracke and others who support amnesty resort to name-calling and misrepresentations to attack supporters of the pro-enforcement approach to illegal immigration. They know the American people are overwhelmingly opposed to amnesty. Enforcing our immigration laws, not engaging in misleading partisan rhetoric, will ensure that the needs of citizens and legal workers are placed before the desires of lawbreakers.
Rep. Lamar Smith (R) of Texas is chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.