- Manchin Is Staying in the Senate
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 13, 2015
- Wham! Bam! Comic Book Ads Target SEC Chairwoman
- Democrat Announces Senate Bid in Pennsylvania
- Context for Facebook Chatter About Presidential Candidates
Nugent says he’s also telling Members to stay in touch with local law enforcement officials in their districts, alerting them about when and where they plan to hold events. A police presence, he says, can be a deterrent and a comfort.
Such steps also protect Members’ staffers and constituents, they say. After all, although Giffords was the Arizona shooter’s target, she wasn’t his only victim. Her aide, Gabe Zimmerman, died in the shooting, and her constituents were wounded and killed.
For many Members of Congress, those shots fired in Tucson were a jolting reminder of new risks that they face. But through more jaded eyes, the risks have always been there.
“There are brothers killing brothers and sons killing fathers,” Nugent says. “This kind of thing doesn’t surprise me, but it disappoints me.”comments powered by Disqus