- The Donald Trump Impact: Not so Inevitable After All
- Heck Decision Prompts Rating Changes in 2 Nevada Races
- Joe Heck to Run for Nevada Senate (Video)
- GOP Women's Recruitment Effort Adapts for 2016
- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
Some Democrats pointed out that Reid has never embraced the role of chief messenger anyway, and they noted his penchant for making impolitic remarks. They also note that Republicans have long tasked their deputy leader — currently Senate Republican Conference Chairman Lamar Alexander (Tenn.) — with coordinating the party’s message.
As another Senate Democratic aide put it: “The idea is this new DPC construct helps both Reid and the caucus get better at the things they need to get better at. … And it’s a way for Schumer to do what he’s good at.”
Jessica Brady contributed to this report.