- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Nevada Democrats on Saturday nominated state Treasurer Kate Marshall to run in the 2nd district special election to replace appointed Sen. Dean Heller (R).
The Saturday nomination comes just before the state Supreme Court will begin hearing arguments today on the special election rules. A lower court ruled that with no primary, the major parties can nominate their own candidates, while the state and Democrats are arguing that state law dictates House specials are open contests.
The court must decide by next week for the Sept. 13 special to remain on schedule, according to the secretary of state’s office. If the lower court ruling is upheld, Marshall and Republican Mark Amodei, a former state legislator and state party chairman, will be the only major-party candidates on the ballot.