If you sign up for an email newsletter from Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), you will receive what he calls a “Freedom Alert.”
Whether these emails alert you to your own freedom (or someone else’s) remains unclear, but we decided it was the perfect opportunity to assess other Members’ email newsletters for any particularly fun names. (Warning: This group loves to alliterate like it’s a verb.)
1. Under the Dome, Closer to Home — Rep. Mike Quigley’s (D-Ill.) newsletter has only had one issue so far, but it was our favorite, so it made the list. We are sure Quigley thought up this name straight from the top of his own dome.
2. AKIN ALERT — Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) proves that ALL CAPS are always crucial.
3. News from Nan — Rep. Nan Hayworth (R-N.Y.) has channeled everyone’s favorite grandmother and sends her news through the Internet tubes.
4. Congressman Paul’s Straight Up Talk — Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) serves his news strong, like whiskey, because he’s from Texas.
5. Wilson’s Weekly Watch — Rep. Joe Wilson’s (R-S.C.) newsletters should end just like his floor speeches: “We will never forget Sept. 11 and the global war on terror.”
Former Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., candidate for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, holds his hand over his heart during the singing of the national anthem as he waits to take the stage for his town hall campaign rally with Sen. John McCain at the Pinkerton Academy in Derry, N.H., on Monday, Aug. 18, 2014.