- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Plains Region
Also uncertain is whether conservative Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) will seek the post. DeMint is also from the 2004 class, and in 2008 the conservative Club for Growth, then under the leadership of now-Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.), waged an unsuccessful campaign along with other conservative groups to get McConnell to install DeMint on the panel. At the same time, the club pushed Republican leaders to name Rep. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) to the Appropriations Committee. Flake at first was passed over, but he was named to Appropriations last year after the party took back the House.
Aides to McConnell declined to comment on the soon-to-be vacant Finance slot.
David M. Drucker contributed to this report.