- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Retired four-star Gen. Tommy Franks is lending his name and support to Senate candidate Michael Williams, a state railroad commissioner.
Williams is running in a crowded GOP primary to replace retiring Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R).
Franks, who graduated from Midland High School a year ahead of former first lady Laura Bush, led U.S. forces into Afghanistan and Iraq.
“As a retired military man, I don’t often get involved in political campaigns. But I decided that there’s a race going on in Texas that’s so important, that I just couldn’t stand on the sidelines,” Franks said in a statement. “Michael Williams, my friend, is running to be the next senator from the great state of Texas. He provides the kind of leadership that I think we need in Washington to get America back on the right track.”