- Illinois Democrat Abruptly Drops Congressional Bid
- Jeff Miller Won't Run for Florida Senate Seat
- A Brief Electoral History of Recently Indicted Congressmen
- Becerra Won't Run for Senate
- Democrat to Detractors: I'm Doing Better Than Your Guy
But Baucus may have alienated Snowe on Wednesday by pushing to defeat an amendment by Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) to postpone a final committee vote on the health measure until an official cost estimate was in hand. A visibly agitated Snowe railed against Democrats, saying a complete Congressional Budget Office score was vital before the bill moves on to the floor.
In the world we live in, numbers matter, Snowe said later. I was actually surprised this morning ... that this would not have been a position that would have been embraced by the entire committee with respect to being fiscally responsible.
Despite the challenges, several Democrats cautioned that Baucus has seemed to prevail in the past in the face of controversy. This is a man who ran 42 miles of a 50-mile race with a gash that required eight stitches in his head, said one Democratic lobbyist familiar with the Montana Democrats career. He will find a way to get this off the floor with 60 votes.