Top Democrats and Republicans have said there is 80 percent agreement on how to reform health care, with the major disputes centering on the remaining 20 percent, but that rhetoric appears to be more public relations than reality.
Republicans said the 80 percent agreement referred to the set of goals that Democrats have on health care reform, rather than any formal legislation or specifics currently under consideration in either chamber. Democrats countered that Republicans are floating the 80 percent figure simply as a way to look like they are not being obstructionists.
President Barack Obama suggested during his address to Congress earlier this month that there was already 80 percent agreement on how to reform health care; Rep. Charles Boustany (R-La.), who delivered the Republican response, later agreed in an MSNBC interview.
And in a joint town hall meeting in Richmond, Va., on Monday, when Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.) suggested there was 80 percent agreement, Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.) did not dispute the number.
House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said Tuesday that he wants to sit down with Cantor and Boustany to find out what exactly they are talking about, especially given that they havent presented a bill of their own.
I want to find out what that 80 percent is, Hoyer told reporters at his weekly press briefing. Whatever it is, we need to find out what it is and see if we can reach agreement.
Rick Curtsinger, a spokesman for Boustany, pointed to the list of goals such as providing insurance for people with pre-existing conditions outlined in the Congressmans rebuttal to Obamas address to Congress, but said there were more areas where Boustany believed the two sides could come together.
Rep. Boustany believes there are more areas of common ground, but he was constrained by time during his address, he said. Those are simply several areas that both he and the president touched upon.
Cantor spokesman Brad Dayspring pointed to three areas where bipartisan agreement can be reached, including portability, pre-existing conditions and medical malpractice reform.
Mr. Cantor has made very clear that like a majority of the House, he does not support H.R. 3200, Dayspring said. Hes also made very clear that when it comes to strengthening health care in America, he believes its far more productive to focus on areas where Republicans and Democrats may be able to agree, rather than on divisive issues like the public option in whatever form as the president and Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi have chosen to do.
But even within areas where Republicans say there is room for agreement, divisions on implementation remain.
Scott complained during the town hall meeting that it was impossible to separate the controversial 20 percent of the bill that Republicans oppose from the parts that had bipartisan support.
Unless you have universal coverage, the pre-existing-condition problem cannot be solved, Scott said. If people can wait to buy insurance until they get sick, the only people that will buy insurance are those that are sick, and the average cost will go up.
Cantor told reporters after the meeting he disagreed with Scott, and the challenges presented by the 20 percent where they disagree could be addressed.
Former Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., candidate for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, holds his hand over his heart during the singing of the national anthem as he waits to take the stage for his town hall campaign rally with Sen. John McCain at the Pinkerton Academy in Derry, N.H., on Monday, Aug. 18, 2014.