- Illinois Democrat Abruptly Drops Congressional Bid
- Jeff Miller Won't Run for Florida Senate Seat
- A Brief Electoral History of Recently Indicted Congressmen
- Becerra Won't Run for Senate
- Democrat to Detractors: I'm Doing Better Than Your Guy
While the imperative in a campaign is to get on TV, print reporters and the Washington media become more important for a president as he tries to reach various localities and Washington constituencies. And coverage of Obama was so intense during the first two weeks that he might not have needed to invite in inquisitors to make his point.
Its also possible that staff was trying to protect a brand-new president from early gaffes as he warmed up to his job. But Kumar says such errors by a president are unusual.
Advisers tend to worry about the possibility of making a mistake more than reality requires, she said. In reality, presidents generally dont make mistakes at press conferences, and if they do, the public usually doesnt care.