Sen. John McCain (R) is still getting some traction out of his old presidential campaign e-mail list.
On Tuesday, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee sent out a fundraising solicitation to subscribers to johnmccain.com asking for donations to his 2010 Senate re-election campaign.
McCain put out word that he was running for re-election within days of losing his White House bid. He said in the e-mail that despite President Barack Obamas pledge to change Washington, D.C., he has been saddened to watch as Congressional Democrats try to use their majority to advocate more of the same failed policies and wasteful spending of the past. With so much at stake, now is not the time to step away from my work in the Senate.
Although McCain said in the e-mail that he anticipates a tough re-election challenge, there are no obvious top-tier challengers on the horizon for the four-term Senator. Former Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano (D) would have been his most formidable challenger, but she was confirmed as secretary of the Department of Homeland Security last month. Democrats still hold out hope that they can recruit a big name to take on
McCain, who will be 74 in 2010.
Former Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., candidate for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, holds his hand over his heart during the singing of the national anthem as he waits to take the stage for his town hall campaign rally with Sen. John McCain at the Pinkerton Academy in Derry, N.H., on Monday, Aug. 18, 2014.