- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Senator Stevens was unduly prevented from campaigning for reelection, the motion states. Stevens was narrowly defeated in his re-election bid last month.
Defense attorneys also filed two additional motions, one seeking to dismiss portions of the indictment as repetitive and another asking for Stevens to be acquitted.
Federal prosecutors are expected to oppose the motion for a new trial. The government has until mid-January to file its response.
A hearing on the motion is set for Feb. 25, at which time Judge Emmet Sullivan could set a sentencing date.