- Kathleen Matthews Joins Race for Van Hollen's Seat
- Let Voters Judge Early Ads
- Kelly Wins Runoff for Mississippi House Seat
- DNC's Mo Elleithee Leaving Politics for Georgetown
- Rematches Invite 'Retread' Label, Familiar Themes
Another family member may have beaten her to it. Renterias mother, who worked as a school secretary in Woodlake for 35 years, is currently running for a seat on the school board. Renteria marvels at how her mom, for years the woman behind the desk taking other peoples calls, is campaigning to call the shots herself.
I forgot about what kind of difference you can make when you run, she said. Maybe one day Ill be like my mom and run for school board.
The article incorrectly stated that Renteria is the only Hispanic chief of staff in the Senate. At least three Hispanic chiefs, including Renteria, currently work in the Senate.