- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
Boehner currently is the leading candidate for Minority Leader, while Hastert will be out of leadership by January. What remains unclear is who exactly will make up the roster of the Steering panel in the 110th Congress and how many Californians, appropriators and other lawmakers sympathetic to Lewis will be on it. The Steering panel is expected to meet in December.
If Lewis is pushed out, he has no obvious successor. Former Appropriations Chairman Bill Young (R-Fla.) would not be barred by Conference term-limit rules from returning as ranking member. Below Young on the panel roster are GOP Reps. Ralph Regula (Ohio) and Hal Rogers (Ky.), both of whom were defeated by Lewis for the chairmanship in 2005.
Regula’s office declined to comment for this story, and Rogers’ office did not respond to requests for comment.