What do you get when you extend a long lunch into happy hour? Luppy Hour!
The start of Congress' recess is a great time to try it out.
Start out with the basics: relaxed co-workers or friends, a nearby establishment that serves both food and alcohol and does not close in between lunch and dinner, an easygoing staff who won't give you the stink-eye as the hours slip away, and a nice outdoor setting. The outdoor setting is key, because it enables Luppy Hour patrons to zone out and people-watch, drifting in and out of conversation.
The lunch portion of Luppy Hour should start toward the back end of the mealtime and wrap up around the middle of happy hour. This way, no one will have to be poured out of his or her seat.
Luppy Hour celebrates in-between times. It's about enjoying the best parts of lunch and happy hour at a leisurely pace.
Here are some Capitol Hill establishments that fit the bill for Luppy Hour. It's by no means an exhaustive list, but one that can get you started:
- Bullfeathers (410 First St. SE)
- Hawk 'n' Dove (329 Pennsylvania Ave. SE)
- The Tune Inn (331 Pennsylvania Ave. SE)
- La Loma (316 Massachusetts Ave. NE)
- Kelly's Irish Times (14 F St. NW)
- Cafe Berlin (322 Massachusetts Ave. NE)
- Union Pub (201 Massachusetts Ave. NE)